THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:41 pm GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Go to my DA page.
 Post subject: Blacksad: The Video Game
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:56 am GMT 

Custom Title: Go to my DA page.
ImageImage

Last night on Twitter Blacksadmania had Tweeted this screenshot confirming a Blacksad video game in the works. It's going to be published by the makers of Syberia, the French studio "Microids". For those of you who don't know; Blacksad is a graphic novel series about a private investigator anthro cat named John Blacksad. Basically a neo-noir set in a animal world during 1950's America.

Post subject: Re: Blacksad: The Video Game
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:52 pm GMT 

Now that is definitely interesting. I've been hearing good things about this comic for a while, and I'm seeing much good in it.

Does it use animal characters the same way Lackadaisy does, as visual shorthand for humans, or does it use them the way they're used in Zootopia?

Google Images has told me that there's something there called the Arctic Nation - so, Arctic animals. But they're calling themselves the "white" race.

The more I see, the more I'm leaning towards gritty Zootopia.

Go to my DA page.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:12 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Go to my DA page.
Somberero wrote:
Now that is definitely interesting. I've been hearing good things about this comic for a while, and I'm seeing much good in it.

Does it use animal characters the same way Lackadaisy does, as visual shorthand for humans, or does it use them the way they're used in Zootopia?

Google Images has told me that there's something there called the Arctic Nation - so, Arctic animals. But they're calling themselves the "white" race.

The more I see, the more I'm leaning towards gritty Zootopia.

It's much rather about animals as an aesthetic design than characterization or a specific race. All of them basically humans but portrayed as animals. There are times where the comic jokingly makes animal references to a specific character or an extra. Hinting that are an animal instead of a human. Mammals are not the only ones that included, reptiles and birds are apart of this world too. So it's mixture of both Lackadaisy and Zootopia to put it simple.

The Arctic Nation is a lone KKK Sub-Group with White Supremacy ideology. White animals in general.

This is an gritty R-rated Zootopia almost a decade before it was even created. Adult themes are in this comic. Violence, Sex and racial themes. True story the artist behind Blacksad was a former Disney artist.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:49 am GMT 

Huh. Well, there goes any potential fan fic crossovers with either Zootopia or Lackadaisy.

Which is a shame, really - bringing a gritty, brutal 50s neo-noir into an all-ages Disney flick sounds hilarious.

If it was really about people, not "animals who are basically people, except not", I'd have imagined it to be some kind of sequel to Lackadaisy - which would make this totally relevant, instead of just kinda relevant.