THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:08 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Amicitia concero omnis
 Post subject: ARK: Survival Evolved
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:52 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Amicitia concero omnis
So, there is a new game that has eaten my soul - figured I'd spread the joy/black hole.

ARK: Survival Evolved is a survival game in which you start with absolutely nothing and have to craft your way to glory. Here, watch the trailer to see what I mean.

Dinosaurs. Yes, you can fight and ride dinosaurs in ARK.

Now, the game is still in alpha, being Early Access and all, but it is very playable. It's astonishing how well it plays (well, it is rather intensive on hardware though, since they're still working on optimization). True, there's dino rubberbanding issues and glitches, but it's still amazingly fun. It's also currently on sale on Steam. Go. Go get it. I'll wait.

Now, when you start the game - I recommend starting in the South Zone of the island...it's a bit easier. Build yourself a base as soon as possible, or join a tribe if you're on a server. Personally I would avoid PvP servers for now since there are some major balance issues the devs are actively trying to fix atm. But PvE is still rather awesome. My tribe of 5 currently has 3 triceratops (with saddles), 4 utahraptors (with saddles), a phiomia (with a saddle), a parasaur (with a saddle), a giant scorpion (with a saddle), a giant turtle (with a saddle), a dilophosaurus, and a dodo.

We nearly had a stegosaurus, but it was eaten by a spinosaurus while we were trying to tame it.

All in all, the game is awesome, the devs are amazing, and you get to ride raptors, T-Rex, and spinosaurus.

— Carl Sandburg

Det tog 25 år att ens komma så här långt och jag ser en framtid där jag kunde bli något stort...

Characters, and Timelines! Char solos!

Literary Revolutionary
 Post subject: Re: ARK: Survival Evolved
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:02 am GMT 

Custom Title: Literary Revolutionary
I tried out a free game on steam to see if my laptop could handle it. First PVP game, all good, a little laggy but I made it through. Second game... crashed my whole system :cry: I may need to get my new laptop before I can think about playing this. Which is annoying because it sounds so freaking awesome!

Also the universe hates me - I downloaded the Jurassic World mobile app and played that for maybe 10 minutes, and haven't been able to get into it since :evil: so then I decided to play my nice relaxing hanjie app... and the puzzle I randomly chose to do... turned out to be... a picture of a dinosaur :evil: screw youuuuuuuu universe

Amicitia concero omnis
 Post subject: Re: ARK: Survival Evolved
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:56 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Amicitia concero omnis
You know what would be awesome.... if someone had the disposable funds for a server and we could all play together...

Anyway. They've done optimization since the last post here, and tooooonsssss of new stuff. New dinos have been added! You can now put trackers on your dinos or yourself which is a bit of a godsend. The devs have heard our pleas for the ability to use the spyglass while mounted. So many things... They've added dino kibble made from dino eggs, with each dino preferring a different type of kibble - kibble also tames them faster with higher effeciency.

On a personal note, the bf and I switched to a new server and have a little two-person tribe. Two spinos, two rexes, two argentavis.... ah, the good life. I'll post pics tonight. XD

— Carl Sandburg

Det tog 25 år att ens komma så här långt och jag ser en framtid där jag kunde bli något stort...

Characters, and Timelines! Char solos!