THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:45 pm GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post subject: Re: Foreign Films
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:38 pm GMT 

Good Bye, Lenin! was a really good film, I'd recommend it to... everyone, I guess. The scene with Lenin's statue is wonderful.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:10 pm GMT 

Location: Avatar from http://www.transformice.com/paroles-de-dev-4/index.php
Yay: I got "The Artist" on DVD. Happiness is me.

And bonus for you: It made me remember this thread.

Hottest contender for this year's Foreign Movie Oscar seems to be The Intouchables, which sold about 15 million tickets in France. This is substantially more than the best German movie ever sold in Germany - and France has less potential movie-watchers. This finally made me go watch it in spite of its cheesy premise based on a true story, which is usually enough to dissuade me from parting with my movie ticket money.

See, you have this rich depressed guy sitting in a wheel chair, who's looking for a replacement for an unsatisfactory nurse. An unemployed young colored person gets sent for an audition and tries to fail it, to keep on living on unemployment some more, and fails to fail the audition.

By this point you're probably yawning, and so was I.

Take my word: Go watch the movie. You will not regret it. Proper men with cans of lager in their hands get drawn into this movie because, frankly, it's fun.

Parapharsed quote (since I only know the German version): "Don't take him! You know how this suburbian scum knows no respect?" - "Exactly." And he takes him.

/|\

For reasons unknown.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:51 pm GMT 

Custom Title: For reasons unknown.
I saw an advertisement for "The Intouchables", but I thought it wouldn't be worth much, dunno why.

I'll go watch it.

The Personification of Spring
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:00 pm GMT 

Custom Title: The Personification of Spring
Must...resist...pointing out...bad grammar in title...

Michael Cezley
Jack Brown
Nick White

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:28 pm GMT 

Maybe you want to point out my typos, too. I thought I should fix those.

"Intouchables" at least makes it different from about five other movies called "Untouchables", and ya know, give them a break: it's a french movie after all and most of you US folks will feel annoyed because of lip synch already.

The German title works a lot better: "Ziemlich beste Freunde". "Best friends" means about exactly the same in German as in English, and "ziemlich" means "mostly" which adds a lot of tongue-in-cheek - uh, hope I didn't add any more typos....

Non-Furry Control Group
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:50 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Non-Furry Control Group
Rezhov wrote:
Good Bye, Lenin! was a really good film, I'd recommend it to... everyone, I guess. The scene with Lenin's statue is wonderful.

Seconded. Wonderful film.

"I do not give one on a boat, I do not give one in an oak. I do not give one here or there; I do not give one anywhere. I do not give a fuck you see; now go away, and leave me be".

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:16 pm GMT 

I tried reading through the previous pages so I wouldn't recommend anything that has already been suggested. But if I missed something and post a repeat, I apologize. Anyway, here are some I enjoyed :) :

High and Low-Directed by Akira Kurosawa. An executive at a company is struggling to take control of it. He wants the company to head in a certain direction, but his plan is unpopular. He has secretly set up a leveraged buyout to gain control of the company, mortgaging all he has. Just as he is about to put his plan into action, he gets a phone call from someone claiming to have kidnapped his son. He is prepared to pay the ransom, but then he discovers that his son wasn't kidnapped, it was the chauffeurs son by mistake. The kidnapper also discovers the mistake, but demands the same ransom. He is now forced to make a decision about whether to pay the ransom to save the child or complete the buyout.

Life is Beautiful-A Jewish waiter, his wife, and son are sent to a concentration camp, where the waiter tries to protect his son's innocence by playing a game.

Castaway on the Moon- A failed suicide attempt leads a heartbroken man to live a life in the wilderness.

I know I'll think of more later. :)

Amicitia concero omnis
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:53 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Amicitia concero omnis
Any way you can mention what countries they're from? Or the languages spoken? :3

— Carl Sandburg

Det tog 25 år att ens komma så här långt och jag ser en framtid där jag kunde bli något stort...

Characters, and Timelines! Char solos!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:03 pm GMT 

Hecate wrote:
Any way you can mention what countries they're from? Or the languages spoken? :3

Oh, sorry about that! The first is Japanese, the second is Italian, the third is Korean. I have a feeling High and Low is on Hulu or Hulu Plus and the other two can be found on Netflix.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:41 pm GMT 

Lucio Fulci has made some of my favourite films. Whether you think they are good or not tends to be polarized though.

Zombi 2 (1979). His most famous film, producers changed it's title at the last minute when Dawn of the Dead was released there as "Zombi." Excellent effects, especially the eye gouge, and of course...well, better that you watch it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOSN2s8FY8Q

The Beyond (1981) is one of the fan favourites, and a nice soundtrack. Was a victim of being butchered for the original American release as "7 Doors of Death." (Interestingly, the cheapest dvd uses that title [but "Seven" instead of "7"] even though it is otherwise the original version.)

City of the Living Dead/The Gates of Hell (1980) is one of the more unusual zombie films. They can teleport for one thing, and the main one makes a girl vomit her organs from staring at her. Also shows a guy pushed against a drill.

Those are just a few. ^^ I enjoyed them all, and their music as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:58 pm GMT 

Oh! I got another strange and very, very foreign movie that's perhaps going to get into the Academy Award Foreign Movies short list next january:

Have you ever seen a movie made in Saudi Arabia?

Well I thought so. That would be because there have not been any movies made in Saudi Arabia, and that would be because there are no movie theaters in Saudi Arabia, and that would be because you can watch movies at home on a TV there, but the whole cultural thing is very strictly regulated.

But one woman decided she wanted to direct a movie anyway, and strangely, managed to create a wonderful story about a girl named Wadjda, who after all wants nothing else than that bike she as a lady is not supposed to ever ride.

I went to watch it just because I wanted to see a few images from a country I haven't yet seen much, but there's so much texture in this movie in parts I was actually struggling to understand what it meant what I saw.

It's not a movie about a rebel. It's not a movie about right or wrong. It is a movie about what, simply, is: About what people feel, and what they do more or less in accordance with how they understand life. From our point of view, some of it is totally wrong, but I'm sure a lot of muslims will see a lot of right in exactly the same places - and vice versa. And yet, both side will enjoy this journey because unlike in Hollywood, the movie is not trying to tell you which is which.

I hope you can find a copy somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:58 pm GMT 

Here's a 10 minute film by Anatoly Petrov in 1977. Very nicely done, with an unusual animation style...you can see the reflections of other people in a person's eye! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u8OiiTYubM

Ahoy!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:08 am GMT 

Custom Title: Ahoy!
Just watched Waltz with Bashir and rewatched Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives. First was okay, second was as excellent as I'd remembered, but only if you like that sort of thing.

Plucky Kitty Adventurer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:36 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Plucky Kitty Adventurer
One of my favorites has always been a little-known Japanese film called After Life by Hirokazu Koreeda (1998).

Also worth mentioning is Kikujiro by Takeshi Kitano (1999).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9